Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cadence and the Sore Back Saga cont'd

I hopped on Cadence for the first time in about 2-3 wks on Wednesday after a breif 'you're not acting like a bronc, okay, we're good'  lunge session.  In spite of the fact that it was her first ride in a very long time, we were outside for the first time in a very VERY long time, and there was another horse moseying around through the bush, Cadence was pretty good.
I hopped on her from teh picnic table, and immediately instead of the tense I'm going to bite and buck you stuff I was getting before, she attempted to head for the hills and chase the other horse.  No such luck mare, its arena time.  We walked around the outdoor, and did some bending and stretching.  However, she kept attempting (and unfortunately succeeding) to barge herself into the trot... and eventually I gave in.  Her trot was rushy and insane, but the only time she offered a buck was when I attempted to insist she bend left.  Duly noted.
I ignored her Thursday, and on Friday after a chaotic session at the clinic, I came out and goofed around with her outside.  We went for a nice w/t in hand hack, then had a little canter time loose in the arena once I was sure she wouldn't be a tool and injure herself free lunging.  Saturday I hopped on her again in arena with two other lessons going on.  She was not pleased about this, and attempted to kick the gelding every time he came near.  Nice, mare.  I gave in and we headed to the outdoor in spite of the impending drizzle.  This turned out to be a good decision, as the footing was nice and the rain held.  Plus, we had our own space.  Cadence was better, but still offered bucks when we bent left in the trot.  I surmised that there must still be some soreness on her right side near her loins.
Sat. evening, she had a massage, which confirmed my assumptions about her back.  It also uncovered soreness on her left side from her slip after her last massage, and some unexplicable tightness in her extensors on her front legs... that one stumped us both.   The masseus and myself, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment