Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's New and Exciting?

Absolutely nothing.  I dragged some jumps outside the other day, and handed my dad a camera with the instructions to take some jumping pictures.  Cadence was amazing, the weather was perfect, and all was right with the world.  Everything that is, except for my choice of photographer.  Ah well, better luck next time.  Cadence's jumping is doing fantastically.  Her dressage... is doing alright.  She's getting the whole collection thing pretty well, and her extensions are still in the baby stages.  Forward-going horses often have more trouble with extensions, contrary to popular belief.  They're more prone to rush things, so when you start work on the lengthens, it's all slow and steady wins the race type stuff.  I've seen the evidence of what they'll become when we free lunge and such, but for now it's just grasping the whole concept.
On Saturday, we went over to a friend's farm for some flatwork fun.  We did a little dressage work in the arena, and then headed out for a trail ride.  It was Cadence's first time doing anything more than a walk with other horses, and she had a blast!  At one point, we were all trotting along and she got pretty excited and broke to a canter.  I moved to bring her back, and she collected herself into a beautiful collected canter, and held it!  There was no way I was letting that one go, so I let her hold it for as long as she liked, and she maintained it  until everyone else returned to walk.  I was impressed, to say the least!
It was a fun day all round, and her leg seemed to hold up pretty well.  She still gets some swelling going on near the top of her LH cannon area.  If I had the money, I'd have the vet out to re-examine.  It's been a month and one day since the suspected injury date; why is this still here!  But alas, I'm not rolling in cash, so I think I'm going to have to settle for a distraught phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment