Monday, December 19, 2011

On The Weekend...

... I had a lesson on Z, discovered that Cadence is freakishly balanced, and pulled a muscle in my back.
The lesson went well.  Z was amazing, and (in spite of my difficulty adjusting to her) I think it was really helpful for me to ride her.  She's gotten to the point where she carries herself perfectly now, and riding a horse who had absolutely nothing in your hand was a wonderful feeling.  Totally weightless, carrying herself perfectly, a light and elastic contact, and working back to front.  It showed me where Cadence will need to go once she's truly straightened out.  We did some medium and extended trots, leg yield and shoulder in, and had some fun with that  beautiful canter of hers.  I wish my riding had been a bit better, but Z was fantastic about putting up with me.
On the Cadence front, she's been absolutely wonderful.  Yesterday, I knotted her lead around her neck and she followed me around the arena for 10 minutes, walking circles, serpentines, shallow loops, and over a small cavaletti.  Unfortunately, she's still SO Sensitive about anything touching her leg.  To change the bandage, it takes one person holding up her front right leg, one person changing the bandage on her right hind and attempting to not be kicked (thankfully, she always kicks straihgt back & away from us... but it's amazing how well she can kick her RH with her RF being held up!), and one person holding her head with a lip chain.  We've tried just about everything else, but you CAN NOT keep a hold of her without the lip chain.  What a mare.  I had no idea a horse could stand on two legs on the SAME side of their body for that long.  She defies physics.
After riding Z, I was sore.  Like 'ouch, I can't walk!' sore.  However, today I woke up in twice as much pain. It apepars I've pulled some weird obscure muscle in my back that hurts like the dickens when I move in a certain way, pick up certain things, or push in certain spots.  Add that to my still aching muscles, and I'm a bit of a mess.
Oh, and Christmas seems to have snuck up on me this year.  I swear it wasn't there last week, but now it's looming just around the corner and I'm not prepared in the least.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear Candence hasn't gone crazy in her stall yet. I hope your back gets better soon.

    I had an injury to my tailbone once, I rode anyway, got bucked off my horse, made the injury worse and then had to get back on and ride home in the most painful, awkward position you could imagine lol.

    ReplyDelete