Saturday, April 14, 2012

2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back...

... or so the saying goes.  It certainly feels like its ringing true for us right now.  Cadence has been building her muscle  back up at a shocking pace.  In two short weeks, her neck has muscled right back up & I'm starting to notice more defenition in her hind end too.

However, two things have been plaguing me.  First off, Cadence's bad leg (the one that always seems to puff up if her legs are going to be up for whatever reason) has been up a bit these past two days or so . So after our ride tonight (for which it was encased in a polo for support and a bit of warmpth) I iced the leg before rubbing it down with Green Cool and putting her away for the night.  As I'm at the clinic tomorrow, I won't be able to see if there's any improvement, but my coach has agreed to take a look at her tomorrow and let me know if her leg's still up.  Unfortunately, Cadence's back seemed a little sore tonight as well.  I can't tell if its because of her cycle (yay for raging spring heat!) or if its because of the work.  Either way, I'm out to ride her this morning after she had yesterday off.  Cross your fingers & lets hope it was just spring mareishness that caused the soreness symptoms.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that Cadence has been off. My coach has a lovely mare in training who also sometimes comes out of her stall/pasture a bit sore - and other days she's 100% sound. She's an OTTB though, so it's probably a past racing injury, but it is frustrating when you're prepared to do some work with her and she comes out lame. I hope Cadence gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It has been a little frustrating working through all this, but I've learned a lot about conditioning and rehabbing horses so there's a silver lining to it all as well! I think if she had slipped and pulled her back back in november when her muscles had been fit & in good condition, it would have been a very different story. Unfortunately, that's not what happened & instead she slipped coming off of 2 months of stall rest... but at least she's doing better now.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I just started following you and look forward go reading more about your journey. I hope Cadence is doing better today. My mare gets swollen in her back legs if she is stalled to long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers and toes crossed that it's just spring!

    ReplyDelete