Thursday, July 14, 2011

It All Ends

Watch the video, and enjoy.  If you've got some time to kill and are interested in a very poorly written and rambling commentary pretaining to Harry Potter and myself, read on.  Otherwise, I'd quit whilst you're still ahead.  Cheers!


As I'm sure you all know/have realised, I try very hard to keep all of my content strictly pony related, but just for this once, I'm making an exception.  The Harry Potter series was my youth, my childhood.  So on this eve of the premiere of the final movie, the last bit of Harry Potter content that will ever be released, I can't help but feel mildly nostalgic. You hear stories (this was actually important enough to make the five o'clock news in Toronto) of children who have grown up with Harry Potter, and for them this truly signifies the 'grand finale' so to speak, of their childhood, and to be honest I'd sort of put myself into that category.  While you won't catch me out walking around with coke bottle glasses and a lightning scar, Harry Potter has been a part of me for over half my life.  I was first introduced to the series at age 6 or 7 when my father read the first book to my brother and I as a bedtime story, & I've read those books more times than I care to admit.  I'm just not ready for it to end! 
For weeks, months now, I've agonized over whether to buy midnight premiere (should that be capitalized?) tickets.  There really is just something so final about this all!  There won't be any more waiting in lines for the newest book, or enduring those brutal line ups to see the newest movie on opening day.  Am I honestly ready for it to 'all end' ?  The other major contributing factor was that my favourite movie premiere venue (an awesome little privately owned and run theater with dirt cheap tickets) closed down shortly after the Deathly Hallows Part 1 premiered.  As a result, I am currently sitting without midnight premiere tickets, still agonizing over whether this was the right choice.  I mean, I know it's too late now.  Tickets here have been sold out for months, and I've actually dipped so low as to ask mes amis if they've had anyone renounce their ticket, but alas I'm about to head off to bed empty handed.  Such is life, I suppose.

On another note entirely, my other main reason for not wanting to see this movie is that the death of Fred Weasley's going to be incredibly difficult for me to take.  The Weasley twins have held a key to my heart since the early pages of Miss Rowling's first novel.  With lines like 'Gred and Forge' and 'We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat!' (my personal favourite out of the whole series) these mischevious trouble makers have ensnared me.  So many aspects of Fred's death, from its impact on George (alright, I know.  George doesn't really exist... but hypothetically speaking), to her killing off a character that I was practically in love with, beholding this tragedy on the big screen will most likely add HP7 to the (very tiny) list of movies that have brought tears to my eyes.  Okay, who am I kidding?  I'd have cried even if Fred didn't die. 
1) ITS OVER!!!!
2) Tonks and Lupin die, along with Colin :'( and so many others
3) ITS OVER!!!!
Still, I think even Hagrid would have been a better choice.  I am much more upset about Fred's death than about the death of Dumbledore (or tumbledown as my spell check thingy that I constantly ignore would like him to hence forth be known) whom everyone else seemed far more cut up over.  But alas, as midnight draws near, I feel it is only proper to say farewell dear Fred, and George- we'll miss your ear. 

Can't be too serious, now can we?

No comments:

Post a Comment